Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tsumago - Magome walk

I know - it's a loooong time ago, but I did not have the time yet to write about my weekend hiking trip with Ellen, Timothy and Evan.... So here it comes:

Saturday (I believe it was 19th of May...) I met Ellen, Timothy and Evan just outside Nagoya and we drove ca. 1.5 hours to Magome. It was great to get to see rural japan after so many weeks with only big cities (ok, except from Okinawa...)



Some impressions from Magome - a beautiful, small town



We were lucky and got to see the postman - who even these days still is dressed the traditional japanese way.



From Magome we took a bus to Tsumago in order to walk back over the Magome pass. Both Tsumago and Magome are two old staging posts along the Nakasendo, were feudal lords once quaffed the finest sake on their way to Edo... The walk over the Magome pass is considered Japans most pleasant



"Downtown" Tsumago


Cute Evan with his new hat :-) What a chamer...


Just outside Tsumago

Some scenery

And yes... we got into this fantastic weather. To be honest - I really liked it. It was probably the worst rain and thunderstorm I have ever seen :D We were lucky and found shelter in a old barn just in time. Half an hour later, it was all over and we continued our walk. I really like japanese weather...


A waterfall along the path


Not all signs were as clear as this one...



ok, lets see... left... or right...?


Rice fields


Back in Magome we ate a little traditional rice snack


obviously followed by ice cream as desert :D



and chili?

No comments: