Thursday, March 29, 2007

My first days in Japan

Since I got to sleep quite a bit on the airplane, I managed to adapt to the japanese time zone without jetlag :D Not bad...

I live ina flat (see picture above) on the university campus. It is small, but nice, and someone comes to make my bed, take out the trash and clean every day! It takes me only 10min to walk to the institute were I work. On the way there are beautiful flowers and cherry trees. This and next week are the most beautiful weeks in japan when all the cherry trees blossom.



I have already figured out how to take the subway, which is an excellent way of getting around in Nagoya (Japans fourth largest city with over 2 million inhabitants...). Buying the ticket for the subway is worse, since my japanese is not really the best.

Shopping food is easier than first assumed, even though there are a lot of products I really simplpy don't know... and I have no clue what for or how they are used. But just have a look at all the different chopsticks you can buy over here!!!! Something for every mouth/hand.


The professor and his secretary at the institute speak english, and they are very kind and helpful. Besides them I have not met any japanese who is particular fluent in english, so when I get back home I will be World Champion in mimic :-) It is quite funny to try and order food or ask for something in a shop when you really don't understand a thing. But until now I have managed quite successfully. The hair shampoo I bought yesterday seems to work fine - I have neither coloured my hair pink nor lost it! And my restaurant visits have also ended with good food sor far, even though I am not sure what I ate.

No comments: